Sunday, July 20, 2008

Lean, mean, green living machine.

In case you haven't heard, green is the new black and, honestly, I'm kind of tired all this eco hullabaloo. It's not that i don't support being eco-friendly, dear reader, not at all. I'm just so very tired of people wearing shirts plastered with recycle symbols while throwing their soda cans into regular wastebins or girls sporting those Anya Hindmarch "I'm not a plastic bag" bags while drinking from a plastic bottle and using the tote as a handbag, rather than actually holding purchases in it.

I'm tired of the trendiness of it all, because making eco-friendly choices shouldn't just be a trend, it should be a lifestyle that everyone strives for. So, follow me, dear reader, as I attempt to make my life a bit greener and a little better with weekly easy, small tips that will hopefully make the world a better place.Fingers crossed.

Rub a dub dub, don't put liquid soap in your tub.
Liquid soap is probably something you don't think about very often, but think of this: the normal bottle of liquid soap is not recyclable. Apparently, the dispenser in the bottle prevents it from being recycled and ultimately ending up in a landfill. Plus, most run-of-the-mill liquid soaps contain a bunch of preservatives and chemicals you wouldn't want to rub all over your precious hands. Bar soaps are probably one of the most eco-friendly products out there, and you wouldn't even know it. They often contain little to no packaging and gentle ingredients. Best of all, they're super cheap,too!
I decided to pick up a simple lavender scented hand soap bar from my local Whole Foods, which cost a whopping $1.29 and had very minimal packaging. I also grabbed an organic and fair trade made bar with natural exfoliants built in, which cost $1.49 and the only packaging on it was a bar code sticker!

No comments: