Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Here Comes The Sun...

Ah, the sun. It makes plants grow, brings light, and supplies us all with a source of vitamin D. Oh, yeah, did I mention it can kill you? It seems everywhere I look, lately, there's a bunch of hullabaloo about sun protection. Tanning? Don't even think about it. SPF this, UVB-UVA that, skin cancer, premature aging...all of this talk is enough to make a gal curl up in her basement and never come out again. Take it from me, dear reader, I know a little something about what happens when one forgoes sunscreen, I generally burn up like a marshmallow on the flame of a campfire without it. Now, as much as I love s'mores, this is a very unattractive look. Now that we're into the thick of summer, I think it's appropriate to share some of my favorite products (and products I want to try!) for combating that big ol' ball of fire in the sky.




This transparent, matte powder SPF by Peter Thomas Roth is a super easy way to protect yourself. The brush applicator is very convenient, too. Plus, since it's a powder it won't clog your pores like many other suncreens. I'd love to try this, but for $30 it's a bit costly for me (I'm a teenage girl with a monthly income of $6.57). Maybe I'll add it to my back-to-school shopping list, after all, sun protection is important all year round. Available at your local Sephora.





Lately, I've been using this Coppertone Sport Faces Suncreen with an SPF of 50. Now, I am by no means athletic. In fact, I'm one those kids who kick the soccerball into their own team's goal (hey, at least I kicked the ball into a goal) and use every excuse possible to get myself out of gym class ("My pet goldfish died, yesterday. Due to the emotional trauma, I cannot participate"), but this sunscreen simply protects you from the sun even if you sweat or get wet. Since it's oil-free, it won't clog your pores. I recommend using it instead of your usual moisturizer and then apply makeup.Plus, with the price tag of $6.99, it's easy on the wallet. Available at your local drugstore.


Stila illuminating tinted moisturizer with SPF is perfect for those times when you need to wear makeup, but don't feel like putting on SPF and foundation (it's middle of summer, the last thing you want is a melting face). This tinted moisturizer not only protects your skin,
but gives it nice coverage and a healthy, natural glow (no orange faces here). I originally tried this when I purchased a full-size Stila kit from ULTA, which included this, an eyeliner/eyeshadow duo, eyeshadow, blush, lip gloss, and mascara all for the spectacular value of $40. I believe the kit is still available, so if you are blessed to live near an ULTA, it's the perfect chance to t
ry this (and many other products). If not, it's
available at Sephora for $32 (see what I mean when I say spectacular value?).



Now that you know my sun protection picks, what are some of yours, dear reader?



P.S. Does anyone know of a good SPF lip balm?

1 comment:

NewYorkChique said...

ahh i was listening to that song today. i love the beatles =]
great post! and i dont know of any spf lip balm, i usually stick to my cherry chapstick, but it would be a good idea to get something with spf for the summer.